U.S. immigration authorities plan to launch on Sunday a sweeping effort to deport recently arrived families who are in the United States illegally, the Washington Post reported on Friday, citing three unnamed U.S. officials.
In a call with reporters earlier this week, Mark Morgan, the acting director of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, told reporters the agency would target for deportation families that have received a removal order from a U.S. immigration court. But it was not clear when the operation would commence.
The deportations are going to take place in major cities across the United States and will target as many as 2,000 migrant families, The Washington Post reported.
President Trump has directed U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents to conduct a mass roundup of migrant families that have received deportation orders, an operation that is likely to begin with predawn raids in major U.S. cities on Sunday, according to three U.S. officials with knowledge of the plans.
The “family op,” as it is referred to at ICE and the Department of Homeland Security, is slated to target up to 2,000 families facing deportation orders in as many as 10 U.S. cities, including Houston, Chicago, Miami, Los Angeles and other major immigration destinations, said the officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe the law enforcement operation.
Acting DHS Secretary Kevin McAleenan has been urging ICE to conduct a narrower, more-targeted operation that would seek to detain a group of about 150 families that were provided with attorneys but dropped out of the legal process and absconded.
McAleenan has warned that an indiscriminate operation to arrest migrants in their homes and at work sites risks separating children from their parents in cases where the children are at day care, summer camp or friend’s houses and not present for the raids.
He also has maintained that ICE should not devote major resources to carrying out a mass interior sweep while telling lawmakers it needs emergency funding to address the crisis at the U.S. border.
“In February, we sent letters to these individuals telling them they had an order of removal,” Morgan said this week.
“We’re at the point right now where we have no other choice but to use our interior enforcement statutory authority to identify where these individuals are and remove them,” he said.
Morgan said that there will be no exemption for families, particularly in light of the fact that many migrants use children to get into the United States.
“The law must be applied fairly and equally. We’re going to do that with compassion and dignity, but we’re going to enforce the law,” he said.
“The message has gotten out that if you bring a kid, nothing will ever happen to you,” Morgan said to the reporters.
“We need to make sure we’re sending the message that will not be tolerated any more,” he said in explaining the situation.
NEW: POTUS has directed ICE agents to conduct a mass roundup of migrant families that have received deportation orders, an operation that is likely to begin with predawn raids in major U.S. cities on Sunday@NickMiroff scoopshttps://t.co/KjuvnaFhRp
— Yashar Ali 🐘 (@yashar) June 21, 2019
BREAKING: Miami will be one of the first cities where U.S. immigration authorities will target people for deportation as early as this Sunday, according to sources. https://t.co/lKnRv6xpsk
— Miami Herald (@MiamiHerald) June 21, 2019
— Monique O. Madan (@MoniqueOMadan) June 21, 2019
Author: Carmine Sabia
Source: The Federalist Papers: BREAKING, Trump To Begin Mass Deportation Of Thousands On Sunday