Former Obama officials are lining up to defend former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe and offered to testify on his behalf if he were to face trial over lying to the feds about leaks to the media.
US Attorney Jessie Liu last week formally recommended pursuing criminal charges against Andrew McCabe.
The potential charges against McCabe are related to his false statements to feds in the FBI’s investigation into Hilary Clinton.
And now crooked Obama officials are lining up to defend McCabe, one of the key coup plotters who tried to oust President Trump from office.
The lineup, detailed in a legal analysis from McCabe’s legal team, the substance of which was provided to the Justice Department, includes a string of former senior officials. McCabe’s ex-boss, however — former FBI Director James Comey — has said he could be a witness against him, based on testimony Comey gave to an internal watchdog that appeared to contradict McCabe’s version of events.
If McCabe ultimately does face charges, he’ll have the backing of several top national officials who have now left government, including Mary McCord, a career DOJ attorney who oversaw the government’s Russia probe as acting head of the DOJ’s National Security Division, and David Cohen, the No. 2 at the CIA from 2015 to 2017.
Lisa Monaco, an Obama-era homeland security adviser, and Denis McDonough, a former Obama chief of staff, also agreed to testify.
McCabe’s lawyers said the testimony of these witnesses won’t be limited “solely to character evidence” — they’ll also serve “as fact witnesses, to testify about the many critical and highly sensitive national security and law enforcement they worked on with Mr. McCabe.”
It is unclear at this time whether the grand jury has returned an indictment in McCabe’s case.
It is also unclear what specific criminal charges have been recommended against McCabe.
The [potential] indictment of McCabe stems from the Inspector General’s findings that the FBI official lied to federal investigators.
McCabe was criminally referred to the US Attorneys office for prosecution in the Spring of 2018 and they are finally getting around to (maybe) indicting him.
The process has been dragged out because of internal deliberations and the case is taking so long that the term expired for the grand jury evidence. One of the lead prosecutors on the case has since left the DOJ out of frustration, according to the NYT.
Last month McCabe sued the FBI over his firing then landed a gig at CNN as a contributor.
UPDATE: McCabe's spokesperson now says Brennan, Rice, Holder won't be testifying as character witnesses for him after all, despite calling the full witness list (below) "accurate" just a few hours ago. https://t.co/i6j2G8ctfK pic.twitter.com/Gzff6ZyFJd
— Natasha Bertrand (@NatashaBertrand) September 16, 2019
Author: Cristina Laila